[Devel] Re: How much of a mess does OpenVZ make? ; ) Was: What can OpenVZ do?

Cedric Le Goater legoater at free.fr
Tue Mar 3 08:17:35 PST 2009

>> 1. cap_sys_admin check is unfortunate.  In discussions about Oren's
>> patchset we've agreed that not having that check from the outset forces
>> us to consider security with each new patch and feature, which is a good
>> thing.
>
> Removing CAP_SYS_ADMIN on restore?

we've kept the capabilities in our patchset but the user tools doing checkpoint
and restart are setcap'ed appropriately to be able to do different things like :

	clone() the namespaces
	mount /dev/mqueue
	interact with net_ns
	etc.

at restart, the task are restarted through execve() so they loose their
capabilities automatically.

but I think we could drop the CAP_SYS_ADMIN tests for some namespaces,
uts and ipc are good candidates. I guess network should require some
privilege.

C.