[Devel] thoughts on checkpointing /proc/mounts

Dave Hansen dave at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Mar 2 10:48:39 PST 2009

Christoph's suggestion that we go add f_ops individually is a really
good way to get people thinking about individual cases that we have to
deal with.

Can we checkpoint an *open* /proc/mounts?  I don't think we want to.  It
could get really nasty really fast.  But, what if the f_pos is 0?  That
makes it a lot easier.

If the "may checkpoint" flag is per-container (as Alexey has said) and
one-way (as Ingo has said), does a single 'cat /proc/mounts' 5 days ago
keep a container from being checkpointed today?

I just don't think the container-wide flag works if it is one way.

I think making it per-process or per-resource (so it can be more easily
tracked at fork()/clone()/exec()) is the only way to go.  It makes it so
simple since only the 'cat /proc/mounts' process becomes
uncheckpointable.  Once it exits, we are OK and can checkpoint again.
That all seems right to me.

-- Dave