[Devel] Re: [RFC] CPU hard limits

Chris Friesen cfriesen at nortel.com
Fri Jun 5 07:54:14 PDT 2009

Avi Kivity wrote:

> I am selling virtual private servers.  A 10% cpu share costs $x/month,
> and I guarantee you'll get that 10%, or your money back.  On the other
> hand, I want to limit cpu usage to that 10% (maybe a little more) so
> people don't buy 10% shares and use 100% on my underutilized servers.
> If they want 100%, let them pay for 100%.

What about taking a page from the networking folks and specifying cpu
like a networking SLA?

Something like "group A is guaranteed X percent (or share) of the cpu,
but it is allowed to burst up to Y percent for Z milliseconds"

If a rule of this form was the first-class citizen, it would provide
both guarantees, limits, and flexible behaviour.

Chris