[Devel] Re: [RFC] CPU hard limits

Chris Friesen cfriesen at nortel.com
Thu Jun 4 22:09:22 PDT 2009

Balbir Singh wrote:

> But then there is no other way to make a *guarantee*, guarantees come
> at a cost of idling resources, no? Can you show me any other
> combination that will provide the guarantee and without idling the
> system for the specified guarantees?

The example given was two 10% guaranteed groups and one best-effort
group.  Why would this require idling resources?

If I have a hog in each group, the requirements would be met if the
groups got 33, 33, and 33.  (Or 10/10/80, for that matter.)  If the
second and third groups go idle, why not let the first group use 100% of
the cpu?

The only hard restriction is that the sum of the guarantees must be less
than 100%.

Chris