[Devel] Re: [RFC] CPU hard limits

Avi Kivity avi at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 20:33:48 PDT 2009

Bharata B Rao wrote:
>> Another way is to place the 8 groups in a container group, and limit
>> that to 80%. But that doesn't work if I want to provide guarantees to
>> several groups.
>>

> Hmm why not ? Reduce the guarantee of the container group and provide
> the same to additional groups ?

This method produces suboptimal results:

$ cgroup-limits 10 10 0
[50.0, 50.0, 40.0]

I want to provide two 10% guaranteed groups and one best-effort group.
Using the limits method, no group can now use more than 50% of the
resources.  However, having the first group use 90% of the resources
does not violate any guarantees, but it not allowed by the solution.

#!/usr/bin/python

def calculate_limits(g, R):
    N = len(g)
    if N == 1:
        return [R]

    s = sum([R - gi for gi in g])
    return [(s - (R - gi) - (N - 2) * (R - gi)) / (N - 1)
            for gi in g]

import sys
print calculate_limits([float(x) for x in sys.argv[1:]], 100)

signature is too narrow to contain.