[Devel] Re: kernel summit topic - 'containers end-game'

Oren Laadan orenl at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Jul 2 11:38:35 PDT 2009

Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> A topic on ksummit agenda is 'containers end-game and how do we
> get there'.
>
> So for starters, looking just at application (and system) containers, what do
> the libvirt and liblxc projects want to see in kernel support that is currently
> missing?  Are there specific things that should be done soon to make containers
> more useful and usable?
>
> More generally, the topic raises the question... what 'end-games' are there?
> A few I can think of off-hand include:
>
> 	1. resource control
> 	2. lightweight virtual servers
> 	3. (or 2.5) unprivileged containers/jail-on-steroids
> 		(lightweight virtual servers in which you might, just
> 		maybe, almost, be able to give away a root account, at
> 		least as much as you could do so with a kvm/qemu/xen
> 		partition)
> 	4. checkpoint, restart, and migration
>
> For each end-game, what kernel pieces do we think are missing?  For instance,
> people seem agreed that resource control needs io control :)  Containers imo
> need a user namespace.  I think there are quite a few network namespace
> exploiters who require sysfs directory tagging (or some equivalent) to
> allow us to migrate physical devices into network namespaces.  And
> checkpoint/restart needs... checkpoint/restart.

Heh ... it does need ... checkpoint/restart; and a few issues
which we should think about sometime --

* Encapsulation of machine/OS config capabilities
   - how to detect (versioning, capabilities) ?
   - how to deal with mismatches ?  (bail ? emulate ? hope for the best ?)
   - what happens if, e.g. VDSO page changes, or how to detect FPU changes...

* Conversion of checkpoint image between kernel version (and automation)

* Network namespaces, mnt namespaces - what's the best approach ?

* Security assessment and brainstorming

* Appealing use-cases for everyday use:
   - for hybernation
   - to reboot to new kernel without losing your session
   - to time travel back to before you lost in "bejewled"

* Userspace tools - mainly for inspection of checkpoint images

* Testing frameworks

* Distributed c/r ?

* Optimizations: low downtime, pre-copy, post-copy, cow, parallelization

Now I really go hide :p

Oren.