[Devel] Re: Net containers config and usage

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 14 11:26:34 PST 2009

Quoting Daniel Lezcano (daniel.lezcano at free.fr):
> chris at versecorp.net wrote:

> >> Ah ! yes, you are right :)
> >>
> >> The current upstream implementation allowing sysfs and netns to coexist
> >> together has one restriction, the physical network devices can not be
> >> moved if sysfs is enabled in the kernel. This is why Chris can not move
> >> the physical network device with this version of the kernel.
> >> This restriction will be set until the sysfs per namespace is fully
> >> supported.
> >>
> >> This restriction does not exist with with the previous kernel version
> >> with the sysfs per namespace patchset.
> >>
> >> -- Daniel
> >>

> > Ah, great, thanks to all for your help on this.
> > Do you have any rough estimate when the support for sysfs per namespace will
> >
> The sysfs per namespace has been rejected because of some design
> problems related with the sysfs itself.
> Perhaps Eric can tell more about that...

Chris, in the meantime, is using the physical device an absolute
necessity, or could you work around it for now using a veth tunnel?

Even if Eric has been working on the sysfs locking rework quietly
the last few months, i'd expect several months of back-and-forth
trying to prove that the rework is correct...

-serge