[Devel] Re: Net containers config and usage

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Wed Jan 14 00:50:29 PST 2009

Guenter Roeck wrote:
> As far as I recall, if you have sysfs active and use the sysfs patch to
> let you configure both sysfs and network namespaces, you can only move
> virtual interfaces into a network namespace.
>
> Guenter

Ah ! yes, you are right :)

The current upstream implementation allowing sysfs and netns to coexist
together has one restriction, the physical network devices can not be
moved if sysfs is enabled in the kernel. This is why Chris can not move
the physical network device with this version of the kernel.
This restriction will be set until the sysfs per namespace is fully
supported.

This restriction does not exist with with the previous kernel version
with the sysfs per namespace patchset.

 -- Daniel