[Devel] Re: Net containers config and usage

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 12 14:51:40 PST 2009

Quoting chris at versecorp.net (chris at versecorp.net):
> All,
>
>   I'm new to linux containers and am interested in the network containers
> support, but am having some troubles getting it working & could use some help.
>
>   I saw that the code released to 2.6.26 was incompatible with sysfs, but
> that 2.6.29 should have support for both.
>
>   So, I built:
>     linux-2.6.29-rc1
>     iproute2.2.6.25 plus the patch for containers support
>     lxc-0.5.2
>
>   I can now run lxc-unshare -n /bin/tcsh
>   And, as expected, that process only sees loopback.

Since you're using the liblxc tools, can you just use one
of the configs it comes with which sets up networking for
you?

>   But I'm having trouble assigning an interface over to that container.
>
>   I tried doing:
>      # echo <pid> > /sys/class/net/eth4/new_ns_pid
>
>   But there are no entries in sysfs called new_ns_pid.

Yeah I'm not sure where that command came from.  To move eth4 into a new
netns, you'd want to do

	ip link set eth4 netns $pid_of_shell_in_ns

See http://lxc.sourceforge.net/network/configuration.php for
more  info.

>   I also tried doing ip link set eth4 newns <pid>
>   but I get a netlink error:
>     RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
>

> Any tips on what I might be doing wrong, or how to get this working?  Since
> I can do the lxc-unshare, it seems like I'm part way there, but can't move
> network devices between namespaces.

-serge