[Devel] Re: [RFC 4/4] net: ppp_generic - introduce net-namespace functionality

Cyrill Gorcunov gorcunov at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 23:46:52 PST 2009

[Paul Mackerras - Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:33:21AM +1100]
| Cyrill Gorcunov writes:
|
| > From: Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov at gmail.com>
| > Subecjt: [RFC] net: ppp_generic - introduce net-namespace functionality
| >
| > - Each namespace contain ppp channels and units separately
| >   with appropriate locks
|
| This looks like a lot of uglification to me.  Why exactly do
| individual network drivers need to know or care about namespaces?
|
| Paul.

Unfortunately in the whole series ppp has been change more
then others and it's looks ugly indeed that is why it was RFC.
Namespaces imply isolation of data right? Including private
data being 'user related' -- ie units passed to user in one
namespace should not interfere with units passed to user in
another namespace. So if I will not 'bind' units pool to
namespaces it would be possible to steal unit from one namespace
proposed for another namespace. Right?

		- Cyrill -