[Devel] Re: How much of a mess does OpenVZ make? ; ) Was: What can OpenVZ do?

Cedric Le Goater clg at fr.ibm.com
Fri Feb 27 01:36:37 PST 2009

Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 07:30:16PM +0100, Greg Kurz wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 18:33 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>>> I think the main question is: will we ever find ourselves in the
>>> future saying that "C/R sucks, nobody but a small minority uses
>>> it, wish we had never merged it"? I think the likelyhood of that
>>> is very low. I think the current OpenVZ stuff already looks very
>> We've been maintaining for some years now a C/R middleware with only a
>> few hooks in the kernel. Our strategy is to leverage existing kernel
>> paths as they do most of the work right.
>>
>> Most of the checkpoint is performed from userspace, using regular
>> syscalls in a signal handler or /proc parsing. Restart is a bit trickier
>> and needs some kernel support to bypass syscall checks and enforce a
>> specific id for a resource. At the end, we support C/R and live
>> migration of networking apps (websphere application server for example).
>>
>> >From our experience, we can tell:
>>
>> Pros: mostly not-so-tricky userland code, independent from kernel
>> internals
>> Cons: sub-optimal for some resources
>
> How do you restore struct task_struct::did_exec ?

greg didn't say there was _no_ kernel support.

without discussing the pros and cons of such and such implemention, full
C/R from kernel means more maintenance work from kernel maintainers, so
it seems a good idea to leverage existing API when they exist. less work.

duplicating the get/set of the cpu state which is already done in the
signal handling is one example of extra work.

now, there's a definitely a need for kernel support for some resources. the
question now is finding the right path, this is still work in progress IMHO.

C.