[Devel] RE: storage considerations

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed Feb 4 23:01:29 PST 2009

> >> I'm looking forward to the btrfs, tux3, and nilfs snapshotting
> >> capabilities.
> >>
> > Interesting, especially the nilfs.
> > The COW file systems is missing in the linux kernel. Do you think
the
> > btrfs has a chance to go to mainline ?
>
> We've been using NILFS (v1) for 2 years already with Zap, and it works
> quite well. We had to make slight (trivial) changes to be able to
> control it nicely for c/r purposes.

NILFS, BTRFS, ... maybe provide solution for snapshots, but quota
support
is still missing (we need quotas on subdirectories)?

And a FS independent solution would be great, so that it works on top of
NFS too.

So UnionFS looks good, but it does not provide real snapshots (using
base + incremental change looks clumsy for our purpose). I am also not
sure
if quota works on UnionFS?

- Dietmar