[Devel] c/r: support for x86-64 arch

Oren Laadan orenl at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Dec 6 12:31:06 PST 2009

The following patches add experimental support for x86-64 arch. The
code is based on Alexey's submission from a while ago.

The basic case of 64bit process checkpoint/restart works. Other cases
such as 32bit processes checkpoint/restart on 64->64, 32->64 and also
64->32 are not tested. Nor is self-checkpoint.

Being far from an expert on x86-64, I collected bits and pieces from
other places in the kernel - so this needs a serious review, including:

- How load_cpu_regs() restores the task's current state - I tried to
 follow similar work done by context switch code

- For self-checkpoint make sure we get the correct "running" state
 from current registers (e.g. segments), not from ptregs.

The first patch relocates and splits current x86-32 code. The second
patch adds support for x86-64. The third patch provides the user-cr
eclone() wrapper based on Dave and Louis's work.

Oren.