[Devel] Re: [lxc-devel] Memory Resources

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 31 07:54:23 PDT 2009

Quoting Daniel Lezcano (daniel.lezcano at free.fr):
> Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
>> Quoting Daniel Lezcano (daniel.lezcano at free.fr):

>>> I do not know smack, what does smack here ? Will this solution avoid
>>> the container to overwrite /proc/meminfo by remounting /proc ?
>>>

>> Right, in the first way he is labeling the whole cgroupfs with a label
>> which prevents the container from mounting it.  In the second way,
>> the specific files are labeled.
>>

> Ah, got it ! :)
>
> The idea of Kamezawa-san to use a fuse proc is maybe a good idea in this
> case. So we can address the entire /proc specific informations. For

I agree, nice idea.  And hopefully pretty simple to whip up for the
meminfo and cpuinfo files as an example.

Are you thinking a fuse fs which takes a config file, holds an open
ref to its ancestor /proc, and for each file looks in a config file to
decide whether to show userspace:
	1. nothing
	2. the underlying file, unprocessed
	3. a simple ascii file instead
	4. the underlying file, processed?

> example, like the /proc/meminfo, there is the /proc/cpuinfo. If you
> restrict the usage to a subset of your cpus with cpuset and you look at
> /proc/cpuinfo, you see all the cpus; it is not a big problem until a
> computation application looks at this file and choose to fork(n cpus)
> and set the affinity of each process to each cpu ... AFAIR, this is the
> case for HPC applications.

-serge