[Devel] Re: [lxc-devel] Memory Resources

Krzysztof Taraszka krzysztof.taraszka at gnuhosting.net
Sun Aug 23 12:22:23 PDT 2009

2009/8/23 Krzysztof Taraszka <krzysztof.taraszka at gnuhosting.net>

>>> Maybe a solution can be to add a new memory.meminfo file in the same
>>> format than /proc/meminfo, so it will be possible to mount --bind
>>> /cgroup/foo/memory.meminfo to /proc/meminfo for the container.
>>>

>> Yes, I thought the same. This should allow the user-space tools based on
>> /proc/meminfo (such as comand line "free") show limited information :)
>>

> Hmmm... does the memory.stat is a good start point for make new one object
> memory.meminfo similar to /proc/meminfo? If so, I can play by my self with
> lxc-tools code.

Hmmm... Daniel, I have got a question (that do I thinking in the right way).
here is an output from /proc/meminfo from openvz:

MemTotal:             262144 kB
MemFree:            232560 kB
Buffers:             0 kB
Cached:            0 kB
SwapCached:        0 kB
Active:            0 kB
Inactive:            0 kB
HighTotal:            0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:             262144 kB
LowFree:            232560 kB
SwapTotal:        0 kB
SwapFree:        0 kB
Dirty:             0 kB
Writeback:        0 kB
AnonPages:        0 kB
Mapped:            0 kB
Slab:                0 kB
SReclaimable:            0 kB
SUnreclaim:              0 kB
PageTables:              0 kB
NFS_Unstable:           0 kB
Bounce:                  0 kB
WritebackTmp:            0 kB
CommitLimit:             0 kB
Committed_AS:            0 kB
VmallocTotal:            0 kB
VmallocUsed:             0 kB
VmallocChunk:            0 kB
HugePages_Total:    0
HugePages_Free:    0
HugePages_Rsvd:   0
HugePages_Surp:    0
Hugepagesize:         2048 kB

most of values are 0.

I have an question about SwapTotal and SwapFree for LXC.
As I thinking that:

MemTotal might be: hierarchical_memory_limit
MemFree might be: hierarchical_memory_limit - cache

the

SwapTotal might be: hierarchical_memsw_limit
SwapFree might be: hierarchical_memsw_limit - rss

rss - # of bytes of anonymous and swap cache memory
I don't know at all that hierarchical_memsw_limit is an good value for swap
total, because as I read it is a mem+swap at all.

Does the lxc memory.meminfo might look like above? Where can I get the
Hugepagesize?

--
Krzysztof Taraszka