[Devel] Some very basic queries.

Surbhi Chitre csurbhi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 08:16:27 PDT 2009

Hello All,

I am a OpenVZ newbie. I have been working on integrating OpenVZ to XtreemOS
(http://xtreemos/) And I have had some issues while doing so. Here are a
very few of the pressing ones:

1) I wanted to know, why a normal user should not be able to execute
processes in the container ? Am I doing something wrong ? Or is OpenVZ
designed to allow only "root user" to call "vzctl exec" ? What is the
principle behind this design (if so) ? or is there any way a non root user
can execute programs in the container (without using ssh) ?

2) I wonder why a normal user should not be able to create
a container and be able to execute in it ? (like a user can create files ?
)

3) I have added simple code in the proc_fork_connector() to print and
receive
the container id of a container in which a fork is executed. I can see these
messages in the dmesg, however my user space connector code cannot see any
information related to the process within a container. I can however
see the information for all the other processes which do not belong
to any container. I wonder why this is happening so.
Can anyone kindly give any pointers ?

Warm Regards,
Surbhi.