[Devel] Re: container-to-host virtual or loopback kind of interface support

Elwin Stelzer Eliazer stelzere at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 16:28:02 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Serge E. Hallyn <serue at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Quoting Elwin Stelzer Eliazer (stelzere at gmail.com):
> >
> > On Apr 9, 2009, at 6:57 AM, "Serge E. Hallyn" <serue at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Quoting Elwin Stelzer Eliazer (stelzere at gmail.com):

> >> So to be clear, what you want is to have an application in a separate
> >> network namespace from apache, but talking over a shared loopback?
> >>

> > Yes. But I am not very specific about the loopback.
> >
> >> Can you use a veth tunnel pair?  You don't have to tie them to a
> >> bridge so the socket app won't be on the public net.
> >>
> >> -serge
> >
> > Yes I can do without the bridge. But what IP address for the veth? Can
> > it be a 127.x.x.x? My solution cannot have a regular public or private
> > ip that can interfere with external network. The reason I mentioned
> > bridge was it will reduce the ip subnet needed to one. If you can
> > suggest a solution that leverages 127.x.x.x it will be useful.
>
> Actually is there any reason you can't use a unix socket?
>
> -serge

Apache listens on IP sockets.
I am proceeding with a solution having a process outside container that will
relay IPC messages to the network space sockets outside the container into
127.x.x.x.

I have another question on netfilter/iptables under namespace; will post it
on a separate thread.

Thanks for your answers.

cheers,
Elwin.