[Devel] Re: Containers syslog support?

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 14 07:21:14 PDT 2009

Quoting Chris R. Jones (chris at versecorp.net):
> Hello again,
>
> Another question on containers.  This time, for syslog.  Is there any
> containers support to isolate syslog entries for different containers?
> That is, is there any way I can run two different syslogd processes in
> two different containers, in such a way that each syslogd process only
> sees and logs events generated by processes in it's own container?
>
> Are syslog messages covered under one of the other namespaces (pids, utsname, sysv ipc, network, users), or is there a seperate namespace for them.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

You can run syslogd in two different containers if they have different
network namespaces, bc /dev/log should be different for each.  So if
user-space software is using syslog(3) it's msgs should stay inside the
container.  I haven't played with it, though.  If you run a quick
(presumably trivial) test, pls let us know how it goes.

(Of course kernel (printk) messages will go to the klogd in the initial
network namespace, as they should.)

-serge