[Devel] What should init do on halt/reboot?

Arjan Schrijver arjan at anymore.nl
Mon Sep 29 04:11:34 PDT 2008

Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> Arjan Schrijver wrote:
>
>> Hi people,
>>
>> Currently I am investigating why OpenRC (the upcoming Gentoo init
>> package) doesn't work well in OpenVZ containers.
>> The problem I have is that when the container is stopped with the 'halt'
>> or 'reboot' commands inside the container, the init process doesn't
>> terminate.
>> What should init do to let OpenVZ know that the container must be
>> stopped or rebooted?
>>

> AFAIK it should just die... Doesn't it do so?

No it doesn't... The init process keeps running. This is something I
have contacted the OpenRC author about.
However, his question is what init should do when it is rebooting or
halting the machine.
When I simply kill init after a few minutes, the VZ state of the
container is 'mounted', which it should only be when rebooted from
inside the container.
That is how my question came to mind: is there some signal init should
send to OpenVZ or the 'hardware' that it is shutting down or rebooting?

Thanks,
Arjan