[Devel] Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [dm-devel] Re: dm-ioband + bio-cgroup benchmarks

Balbir Singh balbir at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Sep 24 04:04:32 PDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Hirokazu Takahashi <taka at valinux.co.jp>wrote:

> Hi,

> I/O

> factors

> break
> will
> bio's
> and
> broken.

> in

> every
> upon
> with the
> releasing
> bandwidth

> take

> bandwidth,

> every

> or
> patches
> request
> right way

> into my
> solution.
> even if
> > >
> > > Currently I have taken code from bio-cgroup to implement cgroups and to
> > > provide functionality to associate a bio to a cgroup. I need this to be
> > > able to queue the bio's at right node in the rb-tree and then also to
> be
> > > able to take a decision when is the right time to release few requests.
> > >
> > > Right now in crude implementation, I am working on making system boot.
> > > Once patches are at least in little bit working shape, I will send it
> to you
> > > to have a look.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Vivek
> >
> > I wonder... wouldn't be simpler to just use the memory controller
> > to retrieve this information starting from struct page?
> >
> > I mean, following this path (in short, obviously using the appropriate
> > interfaces for locking and referencing the different objects):
> >
> > cgrp = page->page_cgroup->mem_cgroup->css.cgroup
> >
> > Once you get the cgrp it's very easy to use the corresponding controller
> > structure.
> >
> > Actually, this is how I'm doing in cgroup-io-throttle to associate a bio
> > to a cgroup. What other functionalities/advantages bio-cgroup provide in
> > addition to that?
>
> I've decided to get Ryo to post the accurate dirty-page tracking patch
> for bio-cgroup, which isn't perfect yet though. The memory controller
> never wants to support this tracking because migrating a page between
> memory cgroups is really heavy.

It depends on the migration. The cost is proportional to the number of pages
moved. The cost can be brought down (I do have a  design on paper  -- from
long long ago), where moving mm's will reduce the cost of migration, but it
adds an additional dereference in the common path.

> I also thought enhancing the memory controller would be good enough,
> but a lot of people said they wanted to control memory resource and
> block I/O resource separately.

Yes, ideally we do want that.

> So you can create several bio-cgroup in one memory-cgroup,
> or you can use bio-cgroup without memory-cgroup.
>
> I also have a plan to implement more acurate tracking mechanism
> on bio-cgroup after the memory cgroup team re-implement the infrastructure,
> which won't be supported by memory-cgroup.
> When a process are moved into another memory cgroup,
> the pages belonging to the process don't move to the new cgroup
> because migrating pages is so heavy. It's hard to find the pages
> from the process and migrating pages may cause some memory pressure.
> I'll implement this feature only on bio-cgroup with minimum overhead

Kamezawa has also wanted the page migration feature and we've agreed to
provide a per-cgroup flag to decide to turn migration on/off. I would not
mind refactoring memcontrol.c if that can help the IO controller and if you
want migration, force the migration flag to on and warn the user if they try
to turn it off.

Balbir