[Devel] New pkg-cacher and vzpkg2

Robert Nelson robertn at the-nelsons.org
Tue Sep 16 10:32:59 PDT 2008

I just posted an updated version of pkg-cacher and vzpkg2.  Please give
them a try and let me know if you have any suggestions or problems.

The primary purpose of this release is to incorporate feedback from
Kir.  I also tracked down the source of the intermittent problem with
tar failing during vzpkgcache.  I would like to apologize for any
aspersions cast on the fzakernel.  The problem was actually one
inherited from the original vzpkg tools, although why it should appear
more often with one kernel versus the other is still a mystery. :-)

To upgrade to this version use the following commands:

RedHat based HN:
    yum update pkg-cacher vzpkg2

Debian based HN:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade pkg-cacher vzpkg2

You will need to edit /etc/vz/vzpkg.conf to incorporate any changes you
made to the VZPKG_* variables that were previously in vz.conf.

If this is the first time you are installing the new vzpkg, please refer
to my email dated Sep 10th and titled "New versions of pkg-cacher, vzpkg
and templates".  The only change to the instructions is to ignore the
section about editing /etc/vz/vz.conf and edit /etc/vz/vzpkg.conf instead.

Here are the changes in the latest version:
  - Use vzpkg.conf for global settings rather than vz.conf.
  - Use correct scripts directory on 64 bit systems
  - Change processing of vzpkg.conf files to allow more specific ones to
override values from less specific ones.
  - Automatically set VZPKG_CACHE_HOST during install.
  - Add manual page for vzpkg.conf.
  - Update vzpkgcache manual page.