[Devel] Re: sysfs question

Benjamin Thery benjamin.thery at bull.net
Thu Sep 11 07:49:41 PDT 2008

Hi Mark,

Indeed booting a distro without sysfs can be tricky because, for
example, initrd might need it (eg. Fedora).

IIRC, to boot without sysfs, in addition to the "root=" option,  you
have to create some devices nodes in advance in your /dev tree
(mainly the /dev/sda* ones, plus a bunch of others /dev/urandom,
/dev/null, /dev/console, /dev/tty).

mknod /dev/sda b 8 0
mknod /dev/sda1 b 8 1

But my advice to test netns is to apply the tagged directories sysfs
patchses. It is a lot easier (and complete).

Gregkh is merging the patchset to his tree today (he has added 6 out of
the 8 remaining patches this morning) :)
Once the patchset is completely merged I'll update the howto.

Also I can send you tarball too if you want. Which kernel version do you
use?

Regards,
Benjamin

Mark Ryden wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to follow the
> Linux Containers - Network Namespace configuration instructions from
> http://lxc.sourceforge.net/network/configuration.php
>

> I had built a kernel with CONFIG_SYS=n and  CONFIG_NET_NS=y
> and CONFIG_VETH=y , etc, according to the instructions.
>

> Now, the CONFIG_SYSFS help text says:
>
> sysfs is currently used by the block subsystem to mount the root
> partition. If sysfs is disabled you must specify the boot device on
> the kernel boot command line via its major and minor numbers. For
> example, "root=03:01" for /dev/hda1.
>

> So I added root=08,02 to my kernel boot parameter line and booted.
>

> it starts booting, but then gets:
> switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory.
> Booting has failed.
>
> 8 is the majoror number and 2 is the minor number of /dev/sda2, where I have
> my root partition.
>
> Googling for this found the following, which not helped much:
>
> Any ideas?
> Regards,
> Mark

B e n j a m i n   T h e r y  - BULL/DT/Open Software R&D

    http://www.bull.com