[Devel] Re: [BIG RFC] Filesystem-based checkpoint

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 28 13:56:54 PDT 2008

Quoting Dave Hansen (dave at linux.vnet.ibm.com):
> I hate the syscall.  It's a very un-Linux-y way of doing things.  There,

Not really the syscall, but the writing to the file from the kernel.
Any time I see set_fs(KERNEL_DS) i get flashbacks to getting yelled at
in the 90s :)

> I said it.  Here's an alternative.  It still uses the syscall to
> initiate things, but it uses debugfs to transport the data instead.
> This is just a concept demonstration.  It doesn't actually work, and I
> wouldn't be using debugfs in practice.

It's neat how few lines this took, but I would prefer using a tiny
custom fs rather than use debugfs for dump and configfs for restore.

If you like I can take a shot at whipping up the new mini-fs, though
I think you're having fun :)

-serge