[Devel] Re: [patch 0/4] [RFC] Another proportional weight IO controller

Nauman Rafique nauman at google.com
Wed Nov 12 13:20:13 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:55:53AM -0800, Nauman Rafique wrote:

>> > Ya, implemeting CFQ like thing in higher level scheduler will make things
>> > complex.

>> > Hmm.., I am not very convinced that we need to do resource management
>> > at RAID0 device. The common case of resource management is that a higher
>> > priority task group is not deprived of resources because of lower priority
>> > task group. So if there is no contention between two task groups (At leaf
>> > node), then I might as well let them give them full access to RAID 0
>> > logical device without any control.
>> >
>> > Hope people who have requirement of control at higher level devices can
>> > pitch in now and share their perspective.

>> > I am not very sure about the queustion, but in my patch, buffering at
>> > at higher layer is irrespective of the status of underlying queue. We
>> > try our best to fill underlying queue with request, only subject to the
>> > criteria of proportional bandwidth.
>> >
>> > So, if there are two cgroups A and B and we allocate two cgroups 2000
>> > tokens each to begin with. If A has consumed all the tokens soon and B
>> > has not, then we will stop A from dispatching more requests and wait for
>> > B to either issue more IO and consume tokens or get out of contention.
>> > This can leave disk idle for sometime. We can probably do some
>> > optimizations here.
>>
>> What do you think about elevator based solutions like 2 level cfq
>> patches submitted by Satoshi and Vasily earlier?
>
> I have had a very high level look at Satoshi's patch. I will go into
> details soon. I was thinking that this patch solves the problem only
> for CFQ. Can we create a common layer which can be shared by all
> the four IO schedulers.
>
> So this one common layer can take care of all the management w.r.t
> per device per cgroup data structures and track all the groups, their
> limits (either token based or time based scheme), and control the
> dispatch of requests.
>
> This way we can enable IO controller not only for CFQ but for all the
> IO schedulers without duplicating too much of code.
>
> This is what I am playing around with currently. At this point I am
> not sure, how much of common ground I can have between all the IO
> schedulers.

I see your point. But having some common code in different schedulers
is not worse than what we have today (cfq, as, and deadline all have
some common code). Besides, each lower level (elevator level)
scheduler might impose certain requirements on higher level schedulers
(e.g RT requests for cfq that we talked about earlier).

>> CFQ can be trivially
>> modified to do proportional division (i.e give time slices in
>> proportion to weight instead of priority).
>> And such a solution would
>> avoid idleness problem like the one you mentioned above.
>
> Can you just elaborate a little on how do you get around idleness problem?
> If you don't create idleness than if two tasks in two cgroups are doing
> sequential IO, they might simply get into lockstep and we will not achieve
> any differentiated service proportionate to their weight.

I was thinking of a more cfq-like solution for proportional division
at the elevator level (i.e. not a token based solution). There are two
options for proportional bandwidth division at elevator level: 1)
change the size of the time slice in proportion to the weights or 2)
allocate equal time slice each time but allocate more slices to cgroup
with more weight. For (2), we can actually keep track of time taken to
serve requests and allocate time slices in such a way that the actual
disk time is proportional to the weight. We can adopt a fair-queuing
(http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/1/234) like approach for this if we want
to go that way.

I am not sure if the solutions mentioned above will have the lockstep
problem you mentioned above or not. Since we are allocating time
slices, and would have anticipation built in (just like cfq), we would
have some level of idleness. But this idleness can be predicted based
on a thread behavior. Can we use AS like algorithm for predicting idle
time before starting new epoch in your token based patch?