[Devel] Re: [patch 0/4] [RFC] Another proportional weight IO controller

Nauman Rafique nauman at google.com
Thu Nov 6 15:07:57 PST 2008

It seems that approaches with two level scheduling (DM-IOBand or this
patch set on top and another scheduler at elevator) will have the
possibility of undesirable interactions (see "issues" listed at the
end of the second patch). For example, a request submitted as RT might
get delayed at higher layers, even if cfq at elevator level is doing
the right thing.

Moreover, if the requests in the higher level scheduler are dispatched
as soon as they come, there would be no queuing at the higher layers,
unless the request queue at the lower level fills up and causes a
backlog. And in the absence of queuing, any work-conserving scheduler
would behave as a no-op scheduler.

These issues motivate to take a second look into two level scheduling.
The main motivations for two level scheduling seem to be:
(1) Support bandwidth division across multiple devices for RAID and LVMs.
(2) Divide bandwidth between different cgroups without modifying each
of the existing schedulers (and without replicating the code).

One possible approach to handle (1) is to keep track of bandwidth
utilized by each cgroup in a per cgroup data structure (instead of a
per cgroup per device data structure) and use that information to make
scheduling decisions within the elevator level schedulers. Such  a
patch can be made flag-disabled if co-ordination across different
device schedulers is not required.

And (2) can probably be handled by having one scheduler support
different modes. For example, one possible mode is "propotional
division between crgroups + no-op between threads of a cgroup" or "cfq
between cgroups + cfq between threads of a cgroup". That would also
help avoid combinations which might not work e.g RT request issue
mentioned earlier in this email. And this unified scheduler can re-use
code from all the existing patches.

Thanks.
--
Nauman