[Devel] Re: [patch 0/7] cpuset writeback throttling

KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki kamezawa.hiroyu at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Nov 5 17:34:55 PST 2008

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:04:42 -0800 (PST)
David Rientjes <rientjes at google.com> wrote:

> > So the world wouldn't end if we just didn't merge it.  Those users
> > stick with their workarounds and the kernel remains simpler and
> > smaller.
> >

> Agreed.  This patchset is admittedly from a different time when cpusets
> was the only relevant extension that needed to be done.

BTW, what is the problem this patch wants to fix ?
  1. avoid slow-down of memory allocation by triggering write-out earlier.
  2. avoid OOM by throttoling dirty pages.

About 1, memcg's diry_ratio can help if mounted as
   mount -t cgroup none /somewhere/  -o cpuset,memory
(If the user can accept overheads of memcg.)
If implemented.

About 2, A Google guy posted OOM handler cgroup to linux-mm.

> > How do we work out which is the best choice here?  I don't have enough
> > information to do this.
> >

> If we are to support memcg-specific dirty ratios, that requires the
> aforementioned statistics to be collected so that the calculation is even
> possible.  The series at
>
> 	http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=122123225006571
> 	http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=122123241106902

yes. we(memcg) need this kind of.

> is a step in that direction, although I'd prefer to see NR_UNSTABLE_NFS to
> be extracted separately from MEM_CGROUP_STAT_FILE_DIRTY so
> throttle_vm_writeout() can also use the new statistics.

Thank you for input.

Thanks,
-Kame