[Devel] Re: [RFC/PATCH] cgroup swap subsystem

Hugh Dickins hugh at veritas.com
Wed Mar 5 06:07:07 PST 2008

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> Daisuke Nishimura wrote:
> >
> > Todo:
> >   - rebase new kernel, and split into some patches.
> >   - Merge with memory subsystem (if it would be better), or
> >     remove dependency on CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_CONT if possible
> >     (needs to make page_cgroup more generic one).
>
> Merge is a must IMHO. I can hardly imagine a situation in which
> someone would need these two separately.

Strongly agree.  Nobody's interested in swap as such: it's just
secondary memory, where RAM is primary memory.  People want to
control memory as the sum of the two; and I expect they may also
want to control primary memory (all that the current memcg does)
within that.  I wonder if such nesting of limits fits easily
into cgroups or will be problematic.

Hugh