[Devel] Re: v2.6.26-rc7/cgroups: circular locking dependency

Max Krasnyansky maxk at qualcomm.com
Mon Jun 23 23:29:21 PDT 2008

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 00:34 +0900, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
>> CC'ed Paul Jackson
>>
>> it seems typical ABBA deadlock.
>> I think cpuset use cgrou_lock() by mistake.
>>
>> IMHO, cpuset_handle_cpuhp() sholdn't use cgroup_lock() and
>> shouldn't call rebuild_sched_domains().
>
> Looks like Max forgot to test with lockdep enabled...
Hmm, I don't think I actually changed any lock nesting/dependencies. Did I ?
Oh, I see rebuild_sched_domains() is now called from cpuset hotplug handler.
I just looked at the comment for rebuild_sched_domains() and it says
" * Call with cgroup_mutex held. ..." that's why I thought it's safe and it
worked on the test stations.

Anyway, we need definitely need to make rebuild_sched_domains() work from the
hotplug handler.

> Well, someone should when you change the online map.
>
> Max, Paul, can we handle this in update_sched_domains() instead?

That'd be exactly the same as calling rebuild_sched_domains() outside of the
cgroup_lock(). So I do not think it'll help. Paul has more info in his reply
so I'll reply to his email.

Max