[Devel] Re: Question : memrlimit cgroup's task_move (2.6.26-rc5-mm3)

KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki kamezawa.hiroyu at jp.fujitsu.com
Thu Jun 19 03:22:27 PDT 2008

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:24:29 +0900
KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu at jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:43:43 +0530
> Balbir Singh <balbir at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>

> > > I think the charge of the new group goes to minus. right ?
> > > (and old group's charge never goes down.)
> > > I don't think this is "no problem".
> > >
> > > What kind of patch is necessary to fix this ?
> > > task_attach() should be able to fail in future ?
> > >
> > > I'm sorry if I misunderstand something or this is already in TODO list.
> > >

> > It's already on the TODO list. Thanks for keeping me reminded about it.
> >
> Okay, I'm looking foward to see how can_attach and roll-back(if necessary)
> is implemnted.
> As you know, I'm interested in how to handle failure of task move.

One more thing...
Now, charge is done at

 - vm is inserted (special case?)
 - vm is expanded (mmap is called, stack growth...)

And uncharge is done at
 - vm is removed (success of munmap)
 - exit_mm is called (exit of process)

But it seems charging at may_expand_vm() is not good.
The mmap can fail after may_expand_vm() because of various reason,
but charge is already done at may_expand_vm()....and no roll-back.

== an easy example of leak in stack growth handling ==
[root at iridium kamezawa]# cat /opt/cgroup/test/memrlimit.usage_in_bytes
71921664
[root at iridium kamezawa]# ulimit -s 3
[root at iridium kamezawa]# ls
Killed
[root at iridium kamezawa]# ls
Killed
[root at iridium kamezawa]# ls
Killed
[root at iridium kamezawa]# ls
Killed
[root at iridium kamezawa]# ls
Killed
[root at iridium kamezawa]# ulimit -s unlimited
[root at iridium kamezawa]# cat /opt/cgroup/test/memrlimit.usage_in_bytes
72368128
[root at iridium kamezawa]#
==

Thanks,