[Devel] Can OpenVZ provide complete isolation between VEs?

杜雨阳 duyuyang at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 01:28:17 PDT 2008

Hi, developers,

I come from the academia, I am really interested in the concept of OS level virtualization.

I read a published paper, i.e., "Formal Requirements for virtualizable Third Generation Architectures"  by Popek and Goldberg in 1974, which is a fundamental piece of work in the virtualization area.

In short, this paper concluded a theorem: a virtual machine monitor may be constructed if the set of sensitive instructions for that computer is a subset of the set of privileged instructions.

I am thinking whether the OpenVZ kernel is virtualizable, at least comforming to one of the three properties of VMM, i.e., control of resource.

Currently I don't know how OpenVZ is implemented, which I am working on, I need the help to answer if OpenVZ is theoretically and practically able to control the resources allocated to a VE, and HOW sensitive instructions are intercepted? Anyone???

2008-06-05

杜雨阳