[Devel] Re: memrlimit controller merge to mainline

Joe MacDonald joe.macdonald at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 06:47:34 PDT 2008

2008/7/25 Balbir Singh <balbir at linux.vnet.ibm.com>:

> There are applications that can/need to handle overcommit, just that we are not
> aware of them fully. Immediately after our meeting, I was pointed to
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Carrier_Grade_Linux/Requirements_Alpha1#AVL.4.1_VM_Strict_Over-Commit

I need to get caught up on this thread, but I did promise Balbir at
the mini-summit that I would appear soon-ish with actual use-cases on
this from some of the CGL folks.  Specifically the case I was thinking
of, other than the CGL requirement for VM Strict Overcommit, was finer
grained rlimit accounting.  It started out in the Collaboration Summit
meeting in Austin as a discussion about the SCOPE gaps document and
CGOS-4.5 (curiously called Coarse Resource Enforcement, when it's
really trying to address per-thread limits).

The full document is here in PDF form:

http://www.scope-alliance.org/pr/SCOPE_CGOS_GAPS_PROFILE_v2.pdf

I'm suspecting now, though, that after re-reading the requirement from
SCOPE and the memrlimit discussion, they may in fact be disjoint sets
of functionality.

-J.