[Devel] Re: memrlimit controller merge to mainline

Hugh Dickins hugh at veritas.com
Tue Jul 29 17:48:17 PDT 2008

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Balbir Singh wrote:

> I see what your saying. When you look at Linux right now, we control swap
> independent of memory, so I am not totally opposed to setting swap, instead of
> swap+mem. I might not want to swap from a particular cgroup, in which case, I
> set swap to 0 and risk OOMing, which might be an acceptable trade-off depending
> on my setup. I could easily change this policy on demand and add swap if OOMing
> was no longer OK.

It's taken me a while to understand your point.  I think you're
saying that with a swap controller, you can set the swap limit to 0
on a cgroup if you want to keep it entirely in memory, without setting
any mem limit upon it; whereas with my mem+swap controller, you'd have
to set a mem limit then an equal mem+swap limit to achieve the same
"never go to swap" effect, and maybe you don't want to set a mem limit.

Hmm, but an unreachably high mem limit, and equal mem+swap limit,
would achieve that effect.  Sorry, I don't think I have understood
(and even if the unreachably high limit didn't work, this seems more
about setting a don't-swap flag than imposing a swap limit).

Hugh