[Devel] memrlimit controller merge to mainline

Paul Menage menage at google.com
Fri Jul 25 01:14:55 PDT 2008

Hi Balbir,

Andrew included the memrlimit controller in his latest set of patches
to Linus for mainline.

Although the memrlimit controller basically works as intended, my
impression from the mini-summit on Tuesday is that our consensus is
that this still doesn't have concrete practical use-cases yet:

- avoiding swap over-use is better handled by the forthcoming swap controller

- applications that can usefully handle mmap() returning NULL don't
really exist yet (and since the system as a whole allows address space
overcommit limits, if it was practical/useful to write such apps then
presumably they would already exist)

So I think we'd be complicating some of the vm paths in mainline with
a feature that isn't likely to get a lot of real use.

What do you (and others on the containers list) think? Should we ask
Andrew/Linus to hold off on this for now? My preference would be to do
that until we have someone who can stand up with a concrete scenario
where they want to use this in a real environment.

Paul