[Devel] Re: C/R minisummit notes

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 23 14:18:19 PDT 2008

Quoting Daniel Lezcano (dlezcano at fr.ibm.com):

>   * What are the problems that the linux community can solve with the
> checkpoint/restart ?
>
> 	Eric Biederman reminds at the previous OLS nobody complained about the
> checkpoint/restart
>
> 	Pavel Emylianov : The startup of Oracle takes some minutes, if we
> checkpoint just after the startup, Oracle can be restarted from this
> point later and provide fast startup
>
> 	Oren Laaden : Time travel, we can do monotonic snapshot and go back on
> one of this snaphost.
>
> 	Eric Biedreman : Priority running, checkpoint/kill an application and
> run another application with a bigger priority
>
> 	Denis Lunev : Task migration, move application on one host to another host
>
> 	Daniel Lezcano : SSI (task migration)
>
>   * Preparing the kernel internals
>
> 	OL : Can we implement a kernel module and move CR functionality into
> the kernel itself later ?
>
> 	EB : Better to add a little CR functionnality into the kernel itself
> and add more after.
>
> 	DLu : Problem with kernel version
>
> 	OL : Compatibility with intermediate kernel version should be possible
> with userspace conversion tools
>
> 	DLu : Non sequential file for checkpoint statefile is a challenge
>
> 	OL : yes, but possible and useful for compression/encryption
>
> 	We showed that there are five steps to realize a checkpoint:
>
> 	1 - Pre-dump

I'd just add here that the pre-dump is where you might start writing
memory to disk, trying to get disk and memory closer and closer to
being the same until, at some point, you decide they are close enough
that you can go on to step two, and attempt the freeze+dump+migrate/kill
with minimal downtime.

Coming into the discussion my primary concern had been that doing a
sys_checkpoint() system call would be tough to augment to provide this
kind of incremental checkpoint, but this breakdown is great for that.

> 	2 - Freeze
> 	3 - Dump
> 	4 - Resume/kill
> 	5 - Post-dump
>
> 	At this point we state we want create a proof of concept and
> checkpoint/restart the simplest application.

By which we mean, start with a piece of step 3 (and maybe a bit of
step 4).

Step 2 was pretty widely accepted to be the freezer subsystem, but
noone seemed to be sure quite what the status of that was.

Matt, can you remind us how the freezer cgroup is doing?

> 	We will add iteratively more and more kernel resources.
>
> 	Process hierarchy created from kernel or userspace ?
>
> 	OL : Seems better to send a chunk of data to kernel and that restores
> the processes hierarchy
> 	PE : Agreed
> 	OL : We should be able to checkpoint from inside the container, keep
> that in mind for later.
>
> 	=> we need a syscall or a ioctl
>
> 	The first items to address before implementing the Checkpoint are:
> 	1 - Make a container object (the context)
> 	2 - Freeze the container (extend cgroup freezer ?)
> 	3 - syscall | ioctl
>
> 	First step:
> 		* simplest application : A single process, without any file, no
> checkpoint of text file (same file system for restart), no signals, no
> syscall in the application, no ipc/no msgq, no network
>
> 	Second step:
> 		* multiple processes + zombie state
>
> 	Third step:
> 		* files, pipe, signals, socketpair ?
>
> 	This proof of concept must came with a documentation describing what is
> supported, what is not supported and what we plan to do.

And there was talk of making sure that if you attempt to checkpoint an
app using unsupported resources, we return -EAGAIN.  There had been
murmurings about giving more meaningful feedback, but I have no idea
what that would look like.

-serge