[Devel] Re: [BUG][cryo] Create file on restart ?

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 16 19:21:34 PDT 2008

Quoting Matt Helsley (matthltc at us.ibm.com):

> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 14:26 -0700, sukadev at us.ibm.com wrote:
> > Serge E. Hallyn [serue at us.ibm.com] wrote:
> > | Quoting sukadev at us.ibm.com (sukadev at us.ibm.com):

> > | > |
> > | > |

> > | I think the admin should have set the destination environment such that
> > | the task is restarted in the same network fs in the same directory, with
> > | no files having been deleted.
>
> [Assuming Serge meant: s/network fs/network, fs,/]

Well no I meant a network filesystem - at least if you're migrating apps
around a cluster.

> > or new files created ? For instance if the application was checkpointed
> > before it created a temporary file with O_EXCL flag, that temporary
> > file must not exist when restarting ?
>
> 	I think that's not a problem given my assumptions above. The filesystem
> that the application restarts in would be the same because the admin
> should have set up the restart environment as Serge suggested. The admin
> can't rely on restart in an alternate environment. However, given
> knowledge of the application and environment, using an alternate
> environment may be a risk the admin is willing to take.

Yup.  But Suka is right that in the case of the checkpointed app
continuing to run for a bit before being killed and restarted, it could
get out of whack with respect to the file system.

> > | Am I wrong?
> >
> > So we take a snapshot of the FS and checkpoint the application. Do they
> > need to be atomic ?
>
> 	If all the applications in a container are frozen then I think we can
> get fs snapshots consistent with checkpointed applications.
> Otherwise, yes, I think we'd be gambling that the checkpointed
> application isn't interacting with another, running, application via an
> intermittently-shared file.

What fun :)

I wonder whether the experience of users of c/r on sgi and cray could
teach us anything here.

-serge