[Devel] Re: Checkpoint/Restart mini-summit

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 16 12:35:38 PDT 2008

Quoting Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm at xmission.com):
> "Serge E. Hallyn" <serue at us.ibm.com> writes:
>
> > Right, the whole point of Daniel including a 'reading list' was just so
> > that we can avoid wasting time discussing existing implementations.  So
> > he wasn't suggesting that we would be discussing those in detail, in
> > fact quite the opposite.
>
> Right however he was suggesting we discuss how to implement it without
> agreeing on basic principles.  Maybe I'm wrong and all of the different
> development groups have a common idea of what needs to be done but
> I would be surprised if that were the case.

IMO recent threads have clearly proven that you're right about basic
principles.  Question is what is the right level to start at first, and
how do we go about reaching concensus?  I.e. is the first question
whether we should do a fully in-kernel checkpoint and restart vs
entirely userspace vs a mix, or is there another place we should start?

It sounds like you have some good ideas in any case on where to start so
I'm glad you'll be there :)

thanks,
-serge