[Devel] Re: Feeding containers patches into linux-next

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Tue Jul 15 10:50:14 PDT 2008

"Serge E. Hallyn" <serue at us.ibm.com> writes:

> Quoting Dave Hansen (dave at linux.vnet.ibm.com):
>> We've been basically merging containers patches through Andrew and -mm
>> for a while now.  It seems that some of the testing is starting to move
>> toward linux-next.
>>
>> Has anyone considered what it would take for us to get a tree pulled
>> into there?
>
> I'd guess we would need to:
>
> 	1. Beg Stephen :)
> 	2. Work with the lkml community to decide which patches are
> 	   sufficiently agreed-upon at least in principle to go into
> 	   linux-next.  I really think Eric's netns/sysfs patchset
> 	   belongs there.  I'd also like to see the freezer container
> 	   patchset.
> 	3. Pick someone to be maintain that tree.  Ideally someone
> 	   whom everyone here can agree upon.

I think Andrew said he intends to get most of -mm into linux-next
as soon in the next release cycle.  So this may not be a long term
problem.

The classic challenge is that we really need most of the patches to go
through other maintainers because they are not for subsystems we
maintain.  So I am fairly certain things like our network namespace
work will show up in linux-next because they show up in net-next-2.6.

Eric