[Devel] Re: cryo and mm->arg_start

Dave Hansen dave at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jul 11 09:38:30 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 08:13 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:

> One thing we could do here is to start extending the cryo approach
> with Eric's checkpoint-as-a-coredump (caac?).  We generate the
> tiniest of coredumps which, at first, contains nothing but
> mm->arg_start and maybe a process id.  It would be simplest if
> it also contained a filename for the real executable,

The exec model sounds reasonable to me.

But, I think the filename of the exe is going to have to be in the
checkpoint *already*.  It is mapped by at least one of the VMAs, and
will probably be dumped as a normal file-backed area.

Now, since arg_start is already set up at exec time, it doesn't seem
unreasonable to have the theoretical fs/binfmt_cr.c set it as well.

-- Dave