[Devel] Query on host swapping of guest pages.

Arn cse.syslab at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 19:47:44 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Kirill Korotaev <dev at parallels.com> wrote:

>> Does OpenVZ support host swapping of guest pages ? That is : if a host
>> experiences memory pressure, can it swap out some of a guest's (guest
>> vm) pages and use them ? I assume that if this is possible then when
>> the guest needs to use the memory again it will be swapped back in ?
>> Can someone confirm if OpenVz does this ?
>
> yes, it does.
>
>> Also, can the host change the memory allocation for a guest at runtime
>> (while the guest is running) ?
>
> not sure what you mean...

Kirill, thanks for the response.

What I mean is that if we specify that a guest VM has say 512 MB of
physical RAM when we are initalizing/starting the VM then can we
change it later while the guest is still running. That is, can I later
reduce or increase the amount of physical RAM the guest VM has without
restarting it ?

Thanks
Arn