[Devel] Re: Some question about your TC cgroups controller !!

Ranjit Manomohan ranjitm at google.com
Wed Aug 20 10:56:15 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Kim, Chei-Yol <gauri at etri.re.kr> wrote:
> Hello !!
> I'm Chei-yol Kim, I work for ETRI(www.etri.re.kr) in Korea.
> I have very interested in cgroup, their controllers and especially network
> controller.
> Before about a week ago, I send below mail to container mailing list.
> If you don't mind, I hope hear your opion about that.
> I  think your TC cgroup idea is very good and efficient way of network
> controller.
> Can I ask your plan of TC cgroup patch? What is the future work of the TC
> cgroup?

If there are no objections to the current implementation, I have the
following set of patches planned:

1) Supporting ingress packet classification based on cgroups
2) Supporting firewall functionality based on this (e.g. drop a packet
at port 80 if not in the right cgroup)

> If you think your patch has a problem, What is it?

As you pointed out the split logic in configuration of this
functionality (partially in cgroups and the rest with the tc tools) is
something that I wanted to avoid. However when you look at the rich
feature set provided by the linux networking stack to support traffic
shaping and firewalls it becomes very tedious to duplicate all
possible configuration options with cgroups. Hence the compromise in
terms of user configuration complexity. We could always come up with
simple utilities or scripts to make this easier if it becomes a
serious concern.

-Thanks,
Ranjit