[Devel] Re: checkpoint/restart ABI

Oren Laadan orenl at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Aug 11 14:54:15 PDT 2008

Quoting Dave Hansen <dave at linux.vnet.ibm.com>:

> Arnd, Jeremy and Oren,
>
> Thanks for all of the very interesting comments about the ABI.

I second that !

> Considering that we're still *really* early in getting this concept
> merged up into mainline, what do you all think we should do now?
>
> My main goal here is just to get everyone to understand the approach
> that we're proposing rather than to really fix the interfaces in stone.
> I bet we're going to be changing them a lot before these patches
> actually get in.

I closely follow the valuable feedback and fix the code accordingly.

I propose to extend the proof of concept, to also be able to save and
restore "simple" open files (regular files, directories). My motivation
is twofold:

(1) Providing eough functionality for people to meaningfully play
with the proposed patches and try them.

(2) Demonstrate how I propose to handle shared resources (open files).

The first point is very important because it makes the concept actually
useful to a much broader set of programs than otherwise. I hope this
will attract a larger audience :)

To this end, I have already extended the patchset, and I should be
able to send something working in a day or two.

Oren.