[Devel] Re: Per-instance devpts

Bastian Blank bastian at waldi.eu.org
Sat Aug 2 01:54:43 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 11:12:21AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> 2. Permissions on /dev/ptmx would not be persistent, and would have to
>     be set via devpts mount options (unless they're 0666 root.tty, which
>     would presumably be the default.)

On Debian based systems /dev/ptmx is 0666 root.root.  But the gid of tty
is already supplied for devpts.

> I worry #1 would have substantial user-space impact, but I don't see a
> way around it, since there would be no obvious way to associate
> /dev/ptmx with a filesystem.

Hmm. Several possibilities:
- Change the filesysteme name and the old name remains usable with
  /dev/ptmx.
  Problem: You could mount the filesystem with the old name within a
  container.
- Make the first mounted one special.
  Problem: Will not survive a umount/mount cycle. But this would be not
  the case anyway.

But you are sure, none of them is a pretty solution.

Bastian

--
I'm a soldier, not a diplomat.  I can only tell the truth.
		-- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3198.9