[Devel] Re: Per-instance devpts

Dave Hansen dave at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Aug 1 12:23:44 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 11:12 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> 1. /dev/ptmx would have to change to a symlink, ptmx -> pts/ptmx.
> I worry #1 would have substantial user-space impact, but I don't see a
> way around it, since there would be no obvious way to associate
> /dev/ptmx with a filesystem.

Are your worries just about replacing what is now a normal file with a
symlink, and the behavioral changes that come with that?

I wonder if using a bind mount for the file would be more robust.  We
wouldn't, of course, be able to do it persistently, but I bet it would
be something we could count on udev to do for us.

-- Dave