[Devel] Re: [net-2.6.24][patch 2/2] Dynamically allocate the loopback device

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Tue Sep 25 19:24:06 PDT 2007

From: ebiederm at xmission.com (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:44:14 -0600

> David Miller <davem at davemloft.net> writes:
>
> > From: "Peter Waskiewicz" <pjwaskiewicz at gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:12:24 -0700
> >
> >> This would be a good opportunity to remove the single-allocated queue struct
> >> in netdevice (at the bottom) that we had to put in to accomodate the static
> >> loopback.  Now we can set it back to a zero element list, and have
> >> alloc_netdev_mq() just allocate the number of queues requested, not
> >> num_queues - 1.
> >>
> >> I'll put a patch together based on this patchset.
> >
> > Thanks Peter.
> >
> > I'll also let this sit so that Eric can provide any feedback
> > he wants and also figure out how he will use this for the
> > namespace stuff.
>
> Acked-by: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm at xmission.com>
> Not that it doesn't already have my signed off by.

I've put these patches into the just-rebased net-2.6.24 tree.

I made a minor modification to the second patch, the
out_free_netdev: code in loopback_init() ended like this:

out_free_netdev:
	free_netdev(dev);
	goto out;
	return err;
};

I got rid of the spurious return statement and the trailing
semi-colon after the function closing brace.

Thanks.