[Devel] Re: Network Namespace status

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Sun Sep 16 16:47:32 PDT 2007

David Miller <davem at davemloft.net> writes:

> From: ebiederm at xmission.com (Eric W. Biederman)
> Date: Thu, 13 Esp 2007 13:12:08 -0600
>
>> The final blocker to having multiple useful instances of network
>> namespaces is the loopback device.  We recognize the network namespace
>> of incoming packets by looking at dev->nd_net.  Which means for
>> packets to properly loopback within a network namespace we need a
>> loopback device per network namespace.  There were some concerns
>> expressed when we posted the cleanup part of the patches that allowed
>> for multiple loopback devices a few weeks ago so resolving this one
>> may be tricky.
>
> There was a change posted recently to dynamically allocate the
> loopback device.  I like that (sorry I don't have a reference
> to the patch handy), and you can build on top of that to get
> the namespace local loopback objects you want.
>
> static struct net_device *loopback_dev(struct net_namespace *net)
> {
> }
>
> You get the idea.

Sure.  Thanks.

Since the change got dropped I figured it for a rejection, and that
I would have to rework that patch.

On a similar note. It recently occurred to me that I can make creating
multiple network namespaces depend on !CONFIG_SYSFS.  Which will allow
most of the rest of the patches I am sure of to be merged now.  And
give me just a little more time to work with Tejun and finish up the
sysfs support.

Eric