[Devel] Re: [patch 1/1][NETNS] resend: fix net released by rcu callback

Daniel Lezcano dlezcano at fr.ibm.com
Tue Oct 30 14:43:26 PDT 2007

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Daniel Lezcano <dlezcano at fr.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> When a network namespace reference is held by a network subsystem,
>> and when this reference is decremented in a rcu update callback, we
>> must ensure that there is no more outstanding rcu update before
>> trying to free the network namespace.
>>
>> In the normal case, the rcu_barrier is called when the network namespace
>> is exiting in the cleanup_net function.
>>
>> But when a network namespace creation fails, and the subsystems are
>> undone (like the cleanup), the rcu_barrier is missing.
>>
>> This patch adds the missing rcu_barrier.
>
> Looks sane.  Did you have any specific failures related to this or was
> this something that was just caught in review?

Yes, I had this problem when doing ipv6 isolation for netns49. The ipv6
subsystem creation failed and the different subsystem where rollbacked
in the setup_net function.
When the network namespace was about to be freed in free_net function, I
had the error with an usage refcount different from zero.
It appears that was coming from core/neighbour.c

neigh_parms_release
  -> neigh_rcu_free_parms
    -> neigh_parms_put
      -> neigh_parms_destroy
        -> release_net

The free_net function was called before rcu callback neigh_rcu_free_parms.