[Devel] Re: [NETNS] Oops in register_pernet_operations() with CONFIG_NET_NS=n

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Thu Oct 25 08:03:37 PDT 2007

"Denis V. Lunev" <den at sw.ru> writes:

> The patch attached should help. The idea is simple. The "init" should be
> called only once without NETNS. Period. No need for any lists.
>
> I'll resend it to Dave after the ACK.

First in the case of the code that is currently merged none of
the __net_init __net_exit or __net_initdata can be modular, so for
2.6.24 there is no fix needed. Yeah.

Second the whole concept of concept pernet_operations being __init
doesn't work when you have modular code that calls unregister_pernet_subsys().
Because unregister calls the exit method from the pernet_operations
structure.  So the patch doesn't even begin to address the real
issue.

Third from my perspective CONFIG_NET_NS is a temporary measure
designed to last only until we have enough implementation experience
so that we can feel comfortable removing the experimental status of
the network namespace work.  It was not my intention for it to be a
space saving measure.  So I think it is silly to go marking up the
patches in development with __net_initdata etc.

At least so far I think __net_initdata is a totally bogus concept
and I'm not certain about the other two.

Eric