[Devel] Re: [patch -mm 1/5] mqueue namespace : add struct mq_namespace

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 3 06:59:55 PDT 2007

Quoting Cedric Le Goater (clg at fr.ibm.com):
> sukadev at us.ibm.com wrote:

> > | right. this should be covered when the pid namespace signal handling is
> > | complete. kill_pid_info() should fail to send a signal to a sibling or
> > | a parent pid namespace.
> > |
> > | I guess we should add a WARNING() to say that we're attempting to do so.
> >
> > Just want to clarify how a signal is sent to a parent ns.
> >
> > 	A process P1 sets itself up to be notified when a message arrives
> > 	on a queue.
> >
> > 	P1 then clones P2 with CLONE_NEWPID.
> >
> > 	P2 writes to the message queue and thus signals P1
> >
> > What should the semantics be here ?
> >
> > I guess it makes less sense for two namespaces to be dependent on the same
> > message queue this way.  But, if P2 writes to the queue, technically, the
> > queue is not empty, so P1 should be notified, no ?
> >
> > This sounds similar to the SIGIO signal case (F_SETOWN). My understanding
> > was that we would notify whoever was set to receive the notification, even
> > if they were in a parent ns (again my reasoning was its based on the state
> > of a file).
>
> yes
>
> > IOW,  should we change kill_pid_info() ?  If the caller can 'see' the
> > 'struct pid' they can signal it. The expectation was that callers would
> > call find_vpid() and thus only see processes in their namespace.
>
> I think we have to decide on some limitations with signals

Yes we do, but

> and make sure
> that we cannot send a signal to a sibling pid namespace.

I think you and Eric (and I) are disagreeing about those limitations.
You take it for granted that a sibling pidns is off limits for signals.
But the signal wasn't sent using a pid, but using a file (in SIGIO
case).  So since the fs was shared, the signal should be sent.  An
event happened, and the receiver wants to know about it.