[Devel] Re: [patch 0/1][NETNS49] Make af_unix autobind per namespace

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Wed Oct 3 07:36:53 PDT 2007

Cedric Le Goater <clg at fr.ibm.com> writes:
> my 2 cnts,
>
> when 'restarting' a socket bound to an abstract name, we will have
> a EADDRINUSE if we try to rebind it to an abtract name which is
> already in use by a socket in a another namespace ?

No.

> it seems to me that this is an identifier and like any identifier
> it should be private to the namespace, which probably means having
> unix_abstract_socket_table[] per net namespace.

Yes it is.  It is a hash table so we are filter the hash chain
and not having two copies of the table.  But effectively it's
the same thing.

All this patch was suggesting was having a per network namespace
copy of the data structure for the random number generator for
generating the name.

The ``random number generator'' is just a 16bit counter that loops
through all 64k values seeing if a name is available and if so
using it.  Sharing our place in the loop between different namespaces
may be ineffeicient but it should work fine.

Eric