[Devel] Re: net-2.6.25-netns branch on git.openvz.org

Denis V. Lunev den at sw.ru
Thu Nov 15 05:26:08 PST 2007

Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> Denis V. Lunev wrote:
>> Hi, All!
>>
>> I have ported what is ready to send to netdev to 2.6.25 and created
>> appropriate branches on git.openvz.org, namely
>> - net-2.6.25 aka Miller's 2.6.25 tree
>> - net-2.6.25-netns with ready patches
>
> resyncing ... thanks :)
>
> I will send in a few moments a first round for ipv6 taking into account
> ip6_fib.
>
> There some other pending patches I will send, I hope before the end of
> the week.
>
> I am a little lost with what we want to send for net-2.6.25. I mean we
> planned to send af_unix, af_packet, af_netlink, af_inet and af_inet6.

I think that should behave like a small squaw eating the bear. Right now
we _can_ send netlink preparatory work + PF_UNIX + PF_PACKET. This code
is ready, functional and complete. Let's send it now to reduce amount of
work for maintaining.

> What is the level of functionnality we want to provide with ipv4 and
> ipv6. For example we have addresss autoconfiguration for ipv6, shall we
> send it ?

after that, we can continue the work. I think that we can send all
remaining IPv4 code after while in this cycle. The code has been
significantly changed and porting/splitting/re-splitting takes longer
than I have expected. All sysctl/sysfs handling is out of scope for me
now and, I think, Dave is not a right person to accept this code.

It will be very good if we'll have functional IPv4 in this kernel. All
other staff looks like a pure bonus. At least we should test and
stabilize it.